- Change you wiper blades. Wipe blades wear out and need to be replaced every 6 months to a year. On most vehicles they just clip on. To make this job easier use a slotted screw driver to depress the little tab that holds them in place. The new ones just clip in.
- Change your air filter. Air filters need regular replacement so you car can perform at its best. This is a simple task that requires at most a screw driver.
- Open the filter box, sometimes the filter box is held closed by clips, other times by screws
- Remove the old filter
- put the new filter in
- close the box, put the screws back in or redo the clips.
- Change you PCV valve if you vehicle has one. When the PCV valve gets plugged your vehicle will smoke a lot because it is sucking up oil. This is really easy it only takes about 30 seconds and a new PCV valve is usually in the range of $3-$5.
- Find the PCV valve (hint it is in the valve cover on the top of the engine and will look kind of like the new part you just bought)
- pull the old PCV valve out of the valve cover
- remove the hose attached to the old PCT valve
- connect the hose to the new PCT valve
- put the new PCV valve in the valve cover
- Check you tire pressure. This will maximize your tire life, fuel mileage, and ride quality. The longest part of this fix is going to a gas station if you don't have your own compressor. You will need a tire pressure gauge and if you don't have one buy one it they are a couple of bucks.
- Go around to each tire and check the pressure (you can find the correct tire pressure in either your owners manual, on the drivers side door pillar, or the gas door)
- add some air if it is low or let some out if it is high,
- recheck and add or remove air as necessary until at the correct pressure.
Wednesday, June 22, 2011
5 Minute Car Care
Here are some basic car care tasks that take less than 5 minutes each.